Library cards are available free of charge to all Jefferson Parish residents.
Any type of library card that is issued requires a valid address.
People can meet the library’s ID and proof of Jefferson Parish address requirements by providing one of the following:
for a resident Jefferson Parish Library borrower's card,
a person must meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Louisiana driver’s license with current Jefferson Parish address on front (or an official change of address on back of the license)
- Louisiana ID card with current Jefferson Parish address on front (or an official change of address on back of the card)
- Military or other photo ID with current Jefferson Parish address
- Consular ID or international driver’s license with current Jefferson Parish address
Alternatively, the library will accept two of the following (one must show current Jefferson Parish address):
- Louisiana driver’s license without current address; out-of-state driver’s license
- State, military or other government photo ID without current address
- Current rent receipt or rental/lease agreement dated within the last 60 days; mortgage document; tax bill; title to property
- Utility bill (electric, cable, phone, water) issued within last 30 days showing current address
- Official mail addressed to current address with a current postmark (within 30 days) - bank statement, insurance bill, credit card statement, etc.
- Business or other mail with an imprinted name, current address, and current postmark (within 60 days) - P.O. box numbers not acceptable
- Check imprinted with name and current address
- Birth certificate; U.S. or foreign passport
- Social Security card; Medicare/Medicaid card;
- Voter identification/registration card
- Native American tribal document
- Resident alien card; temporary resident card
- Vehicle registration or proof of insurance
- University, college, or school ID
- Employment or work ID; current payroll stub issued within the last 30 days
- Social services identification; prison release document or letter from probation officer
- Anyone without a fixed address may use a letter certifying their Jefferson Parish resident status by the social service agency where he or she receives mail
The library also provides free library cards to people who own property in Jefferson Parish and pay Jefferson Parish property taxes. An individual must provide one of the following to prove s/he owns property in the parish: 1) property tax receipt; 2) title of property; 3) mortgage; or 4) An individual who does not live in Jefferson Parish but has a valid ID with current address may obtain a Guest card with limited privileges.
The library extends reciprocal library privileges (with some restrictions) to people who have valid New Orleans Public Library cards.
To renew an expired card, the person whose name is on the account must go to an Jefferson Parish Library location and present the card, a valid/acceptable photo ID and proof of current residence address in their name. Library cards expire every two years from the initial date/or renewal date.
All patrons renewing/replacing their library card, will need to pay all fines owed on the account.